Us Aussies love our eggs. Australian farmers produce around 5 billion eggs a year, but… shockingly… about half of these are from caged hens.
Shoppers are starting to clue on and become more responsible by moving away from caged eggs, which has brought about new classifications in the big supermarkets such as “Cage-Free” and “Free-Range”. However there is varying ideas as to what these terms mean and no solid definitive national standard being enforced – The Australian Egg Corporation Limited had advocated a staggering 20,000 birds per hectare as an acceptable level, which it has now withdrawn.
The Certified Organic Difference
Regulations for Certified Organically produced eggs:
- The forage pastures, must be free of chemical sprays and pesticides and the drinking water must be fresh and clean.
- No synthetic additives are used on hens producing organic eggs.
- Outdoor pastures must be stocked at no more than 1,500 birds per hectare. Thats 1 bird per 6square metres.
- Yearly independent audits are conducted to ensure all regulations are being followed.
- Grain feed must be certified organic with no pesticides, chemicals, antibiotics or hormones added.
Inwood’s Certified Organic Farm – Our Eggs Supplier
The Inwoods organic egg production:
- Follows or exceed all of the certified organic regulations.
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Is produced by the Inwood family in Boodua, just west of Toowomba
- Are fed and naturally foraged food and certified organic grains (grown and produced on site)
- Are free to roam certified organic pastures during daylight
- Lay in straw filled nests, eggs hand collected twice daily
- Are free from pesticides, chemicals, antibiotics and hormones
- Bird Density inside barn – maximum 5 birds per 1m2
- Bird Density in forage pasture – maximum 1 bird per 6m2
So you can rest assured that the eggs you buy from us are produced by a passionate and caring family, from happy well loved hens.